Is it possible to recycle used hearing aids? Whether they were owned by a passed relative or you decided to upgrade your hearing aids to something fancier like a cochlear implant, the answer is the same: donate your pre-owned hearing aids rather than getting rid of.
There are plenty of people dealing with hearing loss who could use a donated hearing aid, and a number of organizations out there that acquire and circulate those hearing aids to the people in need. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your pre-owned hearing aid and learn how you can go about it.
Why You Should Think About Donating Your Pre-Owned Hearing Aids
- Of the total populace, around 14% suffer from some kind of hearing loss
- 91% of adults who have loss of hearing are above the age of 50
- There is evidence of hearing loss in 15% of school aged children
- Almost 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually utilize hearing aids
- The general age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Of those people over 70 who require hearing aids, fewer than 30% percent have ever had them
This is very worrisome. Because neglected hearing loss has been linked to numerous health problems from a greater risk of falling to mental decline and depression. The importance of your hearing to your overall health is backed up by new research being released all of the time. These health problems can be avoided and in some instances reversed by hearing aids.
And the last persuasive fact is that loss of hearing can cost the average family $12,000 in earnings each year. But that cost can actually be reduced by up to 50% with hearing aids.
It may not be feasible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford hearing aids.
Your old hearing aid can have a tremendous impact, in the health, quality of life and financial stability, for a person in need who couldn’t normally afford a hearing aid. It may also help a child in school who has difficulty hearing, which could impact their ability to get into higher education and make a livable wage when they get older.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
Old hearing aids are recycled and dispensed by numerous manufacturers and volunteer groups. Come and see us so we can guide you on the right recycling choice for you. Or give us a call.